Sunday, April 20, 2008

Island Adventure

Two weeks ago we took a little trip out to Calleva's island which is in the middle of the Potomac river for those who don't know. As we paddled down we noticed these beautiful bluebells smothering the island and every where else. We did not have our camera's with us but decided that we would come back for pictures this past Saturday the 19th. It was a great time and the scenery was breathtaking (this time of year it always is). The kids had a blast gathering bluebells and climbing up and down the treehouses that Calleva has built on the island. Between Jen and our family we took tons of pics and we narrowed our's down to these. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

One small incident happened while paddling home. Big John steered us right into a rock and we ended up sideways against it. The boat slowly started to turn backwards and before we knew it we went over a rapid backwards and flipped. Yep, you said it. John, me, Johnny, George and James dumped out of the boat and into the cold Potomac. John was able to save Johnny and James rather quickly but when we went to rescue George (who was in front of the canoe) it took him under. We were both a little nervous and sort of laughing at the sight. George was the only one who didn't cry, yet he probably had the most tramatic experience amongst us all. After that little episode we think Johnny and James are done with canoes. Jennifer and Nick were kicking themselves for not videoing the ordeal but did manage to take some pics after the fact. We will post those later.

Moral of the story:
Don't take a rapid backwards or sideways unless you want to get DUMPED!!
Just being goofy

I love his blue eyes



Cute smile


Best Kiss



Love this





Bluebells


The wiggly bridge






The island we canoed to was covered with these beautiful bluebells.










We made it across the wiggly bridge.

So picturesque!










Handsome






Cute











Best buds
















Am I done


14 comments:

VEGAS VIC said...

Boy did I love those pictures. The flowers were gorgeous and the boys just precious. I am so glad I didn't know about that canoe turnover while it was happening. I would have had a heart attack. Glad you are all fine.
Thanks again for a great post!

Jayne Layne said...

Okay these pictures take the cake! You always say your kids don't take great pictures (which is not true), but these are absolutely DARLING! Every picture is great, and what a great little area. I am so jealous. Kiss those cute faces for me

Mitch said...

I agree with everyone else. Most the time when i see all the other sisters pictures, i don't get too sad;although i miss everyone the same amount. For some reason, seeing these pictures really bums me out that i'm not there. Thanks a lot Kelley!! GEEEZ!!;)

April said...

Great pictures......you have such a cute family. It is such beautiful country over there. I remember traveling back east after graduating and realizing the desolate desert we grew up in.

JENNIFRO said...

GORGEOUS!! That was one fun time! You really got some great pictures of the day. Lot of laughs and cute kids!

jill said...

What great pictures! It looks like a great time!!

Up in Bubbles said...

Jennifer I have some cute pics for you also.

JENNIFRO said...

The last picture of Johnny is one of the most amazing pictures, I've ever seen. LOVE IT.

alexis said...

the one of the kids kissing is so cute. it looks professional! all the pictures are so great!

The Anthony Family said...

Trying not to hate! I am going to go sit by the fire and pretend it is not Spring!

Cutest boys!

Shannon Martin said...

He looks so much like your brother Chad!

MamaB said...

Supper cute pics. I think I would be done too after that. You would never get my over that bridge either, I think your kids are so brave. What a fun adventure.

Mrs. O said...

I coulda sworn I left a comment here. Those photos are too cute and I love that you were awesome even though you got dumped.

Terri said...

Wow! The cutest pictures of the cutest kids (my grandkids) in a most beautiful place! Makes me miss you all. Makes me sad too---with all those great adventures you'll never come back West!!--don't really blame you. The pictures are all so great. Love mom (alias grandma Tree)